Monday, April 6, 2009

healthcare for the rich; who gets jobs?

As I mentioned, I pay a ton of money for crappy health insurance and the privilege of paying for just about everything else. I'm trying to see my doctors while I'm still paying for the insurance, especially the expensive ones. This is a big fat pain in the butt.

I need to see an eye doctor because I'm at that age where my arms just aren't long enough to hold things out to read. I've been near-sighted forever, so it's very strange for me. My glasses are always expensive ($700 last time), so bi-focals will be out of the question. I hope a new contact Rx will solve my problem.

Instead of continuing to wear my bad shoes and get expensive surgery on my feet, I worked with the doctor, paid $500 for orthotics, got rid of all my bad shoes, stopped running and worked with my trainer. When I last saw my doctor, she was surprised at how good my feet looked. She was worried I would need surgery. I have bursitis in my toes. Sounds silly, but it's very painful.

Now I need to see the doctor again and I know my orthotics are loosing their cushion, so I need new ones for another $500. If I could, I would order two pairs, one for the gym and running and another for walking. I really can't afford one pair.

I feel like I need to get what I can now because if things continue, I won't have credit cards to use anymore.

I've been sending resumes out like crazy with very little response. Many of the recruiters have made it clear they don't have any jobs. That's certainly a first.

Feels like I'm being squeezed from both ends.

Part of me wants to believe that as more and more of us get in these situations, we will realize it's going to take all of us to get out. And we have to work together. None of this "why should I help save her because she made stupid money decisions?" We all did and didn't expect work to dry up, or our retirements accounts to dissolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment